Like many educators, I look forward to the end of the school year and a break from the daily routine. It’s nice to have time outside for friends and family, and perhaps even a little vacation. Personally, I’m also looking forward to #chemcation2019.
What is #chemcation? Though there is some debate on the pronunciation, it’s s a summer of a chemistry vacation. I find the most rejuvenating, invigorating, and inspiring part of my summer is spending time with my fellow chemistry educators.
My summer vacation just started and these are the things on my agenda, both formally and informally:
- Presenting on Modeling Instruction at the 2019 Connecting for Success conference (Massachusetts Association of Vocational Administrators)
- Connecting for Success Conference - Targeted Professional Development for Career and Technical Education
- Hosting and teaching Modeling Instruction Workshop
- Attending and presenting at American Modeling Teacher Association summer conference
- Attending and presenting at ChemEd 2019
- Attending and presenting at New England Association of Chemistry Teachers summer conference
- Revamping my pacing guide for my college prep and inclusions chemistry classes
- Preparing to teach my school’s first honors chemistry course
- Reading Sam Kean’s new book, The Bastard Brigade
- Reading Midnight at Chernobyl by Adam Higginbotham
- Finishing The Poison Squad by Deborah Blum (and getting it autographed!)
Yes, there will be some time with friends and family and time outdoors as well. I hope to spend time with some of you during my #chemcation2019 and hearing about the one that you planned.