ChemEd X serves its communities of practice by providing a virtual home for community members to share ideas and resources in a thoughtful, supportive, and collaborative environment. Our team strives to encourage quality discussion that adds value for our readers and strengthens each ChemEd X community and ChemEd X as a whole.
Most ChemEd X content is open for comments and questions. Generally, ChemEd X closes comments six months after the original publication date of the content. Authors are given the option to shorten or extend the six-month open-for-comments period. Readers with a compelling reason to submit a comment / question after content has been closed for discussion can reach out to us using our contact form.
All comments are reviewed, may be edited, and may not be approved for publication. In most cases, approved comments are published within 48 hours. Delays past that time may occur if the moderator needs to confer with other members of the ChemEd X team for input before making a final decision about approving a comment for publication. If the comment does not appear on the site, it means that the moderator and/or the team feels that the contribution does not comply with the guidelines listed below.
- Only members of the ChemEd X community may submit comments and must be signed into ChemEd X in order to do so.
- Commentors should have completed their ChemEd X profile by uploading a headshot of themselves and identifying their role within the chemical education community.* Moderators may choose to not approve (and therefore not publish) comments submitted by community members who have not completed their profile regardless of the content of the comment.
- Comments deemed to be outside of the scope of ChemEd X or the community where the comment is submitted may not be published.
- Comments should be germane to the main topics of the published content.
- Comments should be respectful of the author and others. Offensive or inflammatory language will not be tolerated.
- It is acceptable to disagree, but commentors must stay on point and express the disagreement in respectful and constructive terms.
- Authors should not share sensitive information about any individuals, including themselves. No contact information should be shared.
- Images in Comments that identify people other than the author of the comment will not be published. Images of students or others should be avoided.
- Do not direct comments toward any specific individual.
- Comments that include irrelevant promotion of products or services will not be published.
- Comments must be in English.
Comments submitted within a specific community are reviewed by moderators that practice or have practiced within that same community. If you have any questions about why your comment has not appeared within the discussion, you can reach out using our contact form. *For help completing your profile, see our FAQ.